Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Tis better to be 5 minutes late than to be 1 minute early

I have a problem. It involves getting to work early. I just can't do it. I can get to work on time or late with no problem, but I just can't be early. For example, it takes me about 10 minutes to get from daycare to my office. Let's say I drop Eric off and get back to the car at 8:47. I would not physically be able to resist the temptation to stop and get coffee. You know, because I have three minutes. Even though it probably takes 5 or more minutes to get coffee. And then, not only am I walking into the office late, but I'm walking in late with coffee. Which always makes a good impression, I think. Today at lunch time, I went to Target. I made a couple of returns, ate lunch there and picked up a few odds and ends. I looked at my watch and saw that it was 12:40. Last time I was at that Target, it took me a hundred and forty-two minutes to check out, so I decided to head to the check-out aisle. Due to a combination of both my watch and the check-out lanes running fast, I got in my car at 12:42. I sat there for a moment and thought, "I have a few extra minutes. What else should I do?" It was the first time in a long time that I really couldn't think of anything to do. I contemplated stopping at Starbucks or Baskin Robins and getting a frapuccino or the Baskin Robins equivalent. But, I was still full from lunch, neither of those places were really on my way back to the office and I didn't really need extra calories or $4 hit to the old pocketbook. So, I came back to the office, talked to the new attorney for several minutes about where there was to eat in the area and now I'm blogging. So, you see, I'm still not working. But when you're sitting at your desk, typing away, nobody seems to question you. Unfortunately, next week, I'm moving to a new desk, which is on the main drag here in the office, and my back and computer will face the aisle so that all who walk by will be able to clearly see what I'm doing. I'm not looking forward to that at all. I do not like the feeling of people looking over my shoulders. And I do not like having to be productive at all times. Yuck.

2 comments:

Elisa said...

I hear ya! I would hate that, too. But you know u could always type your blog in Word so u look busy then cut & paste it real quick like a bunny into blogger!

I'm a great slacker!

Anonymous said...

hahahahaha... this blog entry is so about me, I know it. I do this all the time. "Oh, I'm early to work! Well, I guess I can stop for coffee/cinnaminnies/bagel, since I have so much time."

It is so hard to be productive at work ALL THE TIME. But it sucks because Wes theatened to make us clean out the shop bathrooms if he caught us using the internets excessively. He made a point of the fact that *I* was not excluded.

Stupid bosses. Stupid work. Stupid husbands who are bosses.

ps: the Word-doc thing actually kind of works; I have done this before to make it look like I am being super-productive instead of working. (But don't tell Wes I said that.)