Saturday, August 16, 2008

Perfect: Mortal Enemy of Good

I'm not sure if any of you know or would believe this about me, but if I had unlimited time (ok, how about severely less-limited time?), I would be cleaning the cracks and crevices with a Q-tip like a mother-you-know-what. Just so you know. I have the patience for that type of attention to cleanliness, I really do. I just don't have the damn time, lest I forsake sleep or (!) internet time. So instead, I live in clutter and messiness because if I can't clean perfectly, why clean at all? And at the same time, I live in stress up to my earballs because all I do is look around and see mess mess mess and my brain goes into overload and I can't function. I try to clean and instead I wander from room to room leaving trails of barely-started projects in my wake. So, I'm taking a new approach to cleaning and decluttering: it doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to be put the fuck away. Of course, I tell myself all the time that this is the weekend that I'm going to do some serious decluttering. But, with a mess like I have going on here, it's really no weekend project--especially when there are constantly children around who apparently need me to wipe their little butts all the freaking time. Maybe someday I'll have the Container Store existence of my dreams, but for now, I'm just going to settle for good enough. I'll try to keep you apprised of my progress along the way (assuming I make some). (Um, which I will.)

No comments: