Friday, February 21, 2020

My Roadmap to Change, Part 2 (AKA Meandering)

Let me start off by noting that my journey of self-improvement doesn't totally revolve around weight loss. I don't want to describe it as an unintended benefit, per se, but I will say that overall, deliberately changing my thought patterns and habits was the more important piece of the puzzle that led to good results in other areas as well. It just happens that my particular chain of events kicked off with a message that made me start to lose weight.

So, going back to the fall of 2017, I heard that message and it was motivational to me, I took it to heart and I started to be a lot more intentional about what I was eating and how much I was exercising.  I lost ten pounds in short order. I lost another five pounds shortly thereafter. I wish I could say the trend continued and I was just magically "fixed" but sometime shortly after the new year in 2018, I lost steam.  November through March is an incredibly busy time at my job and I just slowly lost the willpower to keep putting effort into myself. Once again, I increased my intake of fast food, Coca Cola and sugary Starbucks beverages.  I gained back the five pounds, then ten more after that, until I hit my birthday in 2018 and was right back where I started the year before.

After watching that Facebook video, though, I did start paying more attention to Rachel Hollis.  She had Facebook live streams that were pretty funny and motivational. I liked some of her podcast episodes as well. She had just written a book that hadn't come out yet, but she was promoting it.  She offered some helpful advice for things to do to help you realize your full potential.  I liked listening to her, but overall, I dismissed some of the stuff she was suggesting because I thought it was hard to get into, took too much time, or was meant for people other than me, etc.  In short, I became an occasional consumer of her content but wasn't really doing anything with it. Things carried on this way for several months.

No comments: